Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wine Blogging Wednesday #53

It’s been a long time since I joined in Wine Blogging Wednesday. Leave it to Jeff Stai (aka El Jefe) from Twisted Oak Winery to come up with a theme that could draw me back in.

It’s Wine for Breakfast! Granted, when we drink wine for breakfast it’s usually bubbly, which was verboten (I always follow the rules). The other times we find ourselves craving something high-octane in the morning, we typically favor a Carolina Liquor Drink (CLD).

However, I had no problem picking a wine for this subject. One of my favorite dining experiences has been brunch at Motor Supply Company Bistro. Although we haven’t done it lately, I’m forever grateful to them for adding Torbreck Woodcutter's Semillon to their wine list.

It’s the perfect breakfast wine.

I enjoy traditional breakfast food as much as the next person, but I also love something a little more substantial.

So, to celebrate our breakfast wine, I made my crab cakes, and in place of hash browns, I made very simple roasted potatoes. To dress things up a bit, I added a roasted red pepper sauce, which was excellent with both the cakes and the taters.

The Torbreck Semillon is just the right thing with this meal. It’s busting with aromas of pineapple, lemon and melon. The flavors are more of the same with a hint of coriander and a nice touch of minerals, framed by bracing acidity.

In other words, it’s freakin’ good…breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Thanks to Jeff for being our host, and thanks to the founding father of WBW, Lenn.

Thanks also to Kat and Eli (from Green's Beverages), who procured this bottle just in time, and to Danielle, who works for Grassroots Wine Wholesalers - the fine folks who bring Torbreck into South Carolina.

Wine Blogging Wednesday #53 - Torbreck Woodcutter’s Semillon Barossa Valley 2007

Roasted red pepper sauce ala John:

1 roasted red pepper
1 clove of garlic
About ¼ cup plain yogurt
2-ish tablespoons olive oil
Healthy splash of sherry vinegar
Pinch of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend. Heat gently. Consume.

Carolina Liquor Drink*:

Start with a Solo cup (16 oz.) filled with ice cubes. Add vodka to your heart’s content (about 1/3 cup). Top with good cranberry juice and a big, ole lime wedge.

*I don’t advise having more than one, although you may want to. If you’re so inclined, hide the car keys and enjoy your day! What you remember anyway….

4 comments:

Sean Roper said...

My thanks to you sir for providing the drink recipe I will now be craving all week long until I get my hands on some cranberry juice and limes!

Crab cakes for breakfast.....you had me at Hello.

Unknown said...

Beware the CLD. They've been known to take your day in unexpected directions.

I hope I've got the proportions right...I've never actually measured the vodka. The secret is to use more than a prudent person would.

Anonymous said...

CLD sounds like a Kentucky concoction that a friend tried to kill me with one time ( well, I did tell him to keep pouring the vodka). I don't know Torbeck but will look for it here in London...

Unknown said...

It sounds like the same philosophy, and Torbrek wines are definitely worth seeking out.

Thanks for reading.

 
Google