Monday, January 05, 2009

2009 Checklist

As many of you are doing (or deliberately not doing, as the case may be), I'm thinking of what I hope to accomplish in 2009. 

So, here are my wine goals for '09:

Share the Bounty
I often wonder if some of our neighbors look at our recycling bin with envy. (I've actually done this myself with other people's bins.) We drink a ridiculous amount of good wine, and we should enjoy more of it with friends. Wine is such a social beverage. I'm not saying I'm going to start a wine group, but I need to cultivate some more people to share my wine stash with.

Break from the Pack
I enjoy being different. I like not drinking what everyone else is drinking. I never jumped on the pinot noir bandwagon, and I never dissed merlot. I'll admit that I drink my share of Parker-esque wines, but I'm always looking to go in new directions. I need to find a path less-traveled in the new year.

Find my Voice
2008 was a bleak year for Brim. I need to get back to writing and decide what this blog is all about -- 11 posts in a year is not acceptable.

Beat the Heat
The $75,000 question at my house is: what wine goes with Vindaloo? or garam masala? or my never-the-same-twice chili? I love spicy food, and finding the right wines to match up is quite a challenge. It's time for some research.

They may not be lofty goals, but they're mine. Thanks go to Dr. Debs and Sonadora for inspiring me to write them down. Feel free to add your own in the comments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John! Happy New Year! Hope to see much more of you round these parts this year!

Anonymous said...

J- I like this post, Its got me thinking more about my interest. Of course the new year traditionally involves making new steps to a better year, which is as expected as all the amateur drinkers going out for new years and the roads and bars are littered with overly drunk folks..ok different rant.

None the less, I think you made a valid exercise of it, and I wanted to add something to the list for the new year on the things to think/write about.

I have a tendency to mix..even at bars, social gatherings, home, etc. Often I might start with a beer before dinner, and a glass of wine with dinner.

Have you or anyone else thought instead of what beer goes with, or wine goes with in food pairing.. how about what wine goes with beer?

One of my goals this year is to have my wine friends and beer friends get together solely for the purpose of meshing wine and beer drinking together..but not necessarily in the same glass.

I also plan on doing more reading this year…looking forward to more post!

Cheers,

MrT

Unknown said...

Happy (somewhat belated) New Year, Sonadora! I'm a tad behind on my comments.

Unknown said...

MrT-

Good to hear from you. I'm with you in that I don't see beer and wine as mutually exclusive. I'm enjoying a Saranac Imperial Stout right now, but I'm sure I'll be into the vino later.

(By the way, my local retailer was blowing the Saranac out for $2.99 a six-pack. Ha!)

You raise some very interesting issues about the compatibility of beer and wine. I see them both as equally deserving of respect and a place at the table.

I can even see how they could compliment each other during the same meal. The bubbles in beer could easily cleanse the palate, much as sparkling wine can.

This may require further research.

Sean Roper said...

I picked up a Saranac variety 12 pack at Ft. Jackson (using a neighbor's magic tax-free status) and was really surprised by some of the selection. Very nice variety with some real oddball choices thrown in (vanilla stout??). I was hpoing they would show up the the Beer Festival this weekend but no luck.

Unknown said...

I have to say I've always liked Saranac, but they aren't my first choice. I'm not sure I would have given the Imperial Stout a second look if the guy at Green's hadn't recommended it.

I'd have gladly paid full price, but at $3 a six...I'm thrilled.

Anonymous said...

First of all, any beer that is $3/sixer is worth close study. In a day and age when you can spend 14 bucks ona 22 oz bomber you have to find the yang of 3 buck sixers.

Although landlocked in the midwest, I often find this brew cheap (but not that cheap) and whether its the poor aging, lightstruck, papery, stale beer, or if it has some issues with the beer they make. I can't say I'm a big fan in general of the saranac brews I've put my lips to.

Unknown said...

The world needs more $3 sixers.

Our newly expanded selection here in SC is great, but it's also beating up my wallet. I'm not used to craft beer prices yet.

I'm learning to shop beer like I shop wine - always looking for a good value.

 
Google