Sunday, February 13, 2011

Signs of Spring

While much of the country is still locked in winter's grip, the end is in sight here in the Carolinas. We still have more cold weather to come, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I was reminded of this while I was working in the yard today (in short sleeves). Among the long-neglected leaves were a couple of dandelions, just starting to show some yellow.


The days are getting longer, and we'll have many warm days to come. It's also time to start thinking ahead to spring planting.

One of my goals for this year is to ramp up my gardening skills. I come by my gardening impulses naturally, as both my parents have seriously green thumbs. Presently, my skills might not be apparent upon viewing our yard, but what some people might see see as "neglected" is actually "biodiverse."

The local bird population definitely appreciates it. My approach is to let nature do its thing with minimal interference. More on that later.

In the meantime, bring on spring.

No comments:

 
Google