Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Full Circle


One of the first wines I loved was Chianti Classico. I read somewhere that they represented a very good value, so I started seeking them out. It was also a good match for the first thing I learned to cook—spaghetti with red sauce.

I thought of all this the other night when I made a batch of red sauce and opened a bottle of Rocca delle Macìe Chianti Classico 2006. This is a great time of year for my red sauce, because I can step out to the garden and snip some fresh oregano, thyme and sage. Toss that in with some crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, olive oil, a little bit of ground beef, a splash of red wine and season with salt and pepper, and you've got some serious comfort food.


I can never remember what the black rooster (the gallo nero) means, so I consulted Wikipedia. They have a really good write up on Chianti.

The Rocca delle Macìe is dark and rich, with flavors of black cherry, licorice and dried herbs. It's the perfect match for a hearty red sauce.

Cin-cin, y'all.

No comments:

 
Google