Friday, July 17, 2009

White Italians: You Can Do Better


It's such a shame that pinot grigio has become the default Italian white wine. I once went into a (somewhat) nice Italian restaurant for lunch craving a glass of wine and was dismayed to find nine pinot grigios and a pinot grigio/chardonnay blend as my only white wine choices.

If I want cheap Italian white wine, I'd just as soon have Frascati or Orvieto. The truth is that Italy produces some interesting and very good white wines; it's just that restaraunts get lazy about writing their wine list or just stock what they know will sell.

After a long week at work, it was nice to come home to a glass of Torre Solaria Insolia Sicilia 2007 ($11.99, Green's Beverage Store). This is so much more interesting than the dreaded grigio. Crisp and dry with flavors of granny smith apple, lemon and wet rocks, it's a real mouthful of wine and lingers on your palate in a very pleasant way.

What a nice start to the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this wine today. I like what I think is a melon or cantelope flavor on the finish.

 
Google