Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Morning

I’ll never be accused of being an overachiever.

However, Sundays during the summer are usually a low point of ambition, even by my standards. This morning was fairly typical of what constitutes a good beginning for a summer Sunday in my mind.

We woke up a little late after being out a bit past our usual bedtime. E went off to get a New York Times while I tackled the disaster in the kitchen left from the night before. After some damage control, the kitchen was back in working condition.

Earlier this week we froze a loaf of bread that had sat out too long, designated for weekend French toast. We are devotees of Heather’s Artisan Bakery, a true godsend to Columbia. I don’t ever like to waste food, but tossing even a small hunk of her bread feels criminal.

I recently discovered a great recipe for Blueberry sauce. The fresh blueberries from my neighborhood farmer’s market go into a small saucepan. While the blueberries start to simmer. I heat some water for coffee, using the Larry’s Beans Woodstock Morning Blend we got yesterday at Rosewood Market.

With a cup of coffee in hand, I make up the egg wash for my French toast: two eggs from my friends' chickens, 1/3 cup milk, a splash of vanilla and a heavy dose of cinnamon from Penzeys Spices.

It’s not long before the French toast is nicely browned, the sauce is thick and hot, and the second cup of coffee is in my hand. The paper is spread across the table and Jack Johnson is on the stereo.

This is Sunday morning at our house. No chores. No to-do list. Just good food, coffee, music and The Times.

Here’s hoping your morning was somewhat similar.


Blueberry Sauce from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

2 cups blueberries, picked over and washed
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
½ cup water
½ sugar, or to taste
Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste

Combine the first four ingredients in a small-to-medium saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring, until the liquid is thick and the blueberries are soft, about 10 minutes.

Taste and add lemon juice and more sugar if necessary. Thin with a little more water if necessary and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.

No comments:

 
Google