Thursday, September 03, 2009

College Ball

It's the first game of the college football season here in Columbia.

The University of South Carolina Gamecocks are my adopted team. My real team is East Carolina University (Go Pirates!). However, I'm happy to reside in a football-crazy town like Columbia. College football is the only sport I follow anymore....

With the notable exception of baseball and, more importantly, the New York Yankees, who are the love of E. When you're married to a Yankee fan, it means two things:

1.) You, also, love the Yankees (if you know what's good for you).
2.) You hate the *%#&@! Boston Red Sox.

But I digress, the subject at hand is college football (not to be confused with the Convicted Felon Football League, also known as the NFL).

I suppose I should be serving chicken wings, burgers or the like, but unfortunately there's my cholesterol to consider. So, I have to chuckle as I watch USC play N.C. State after a dinner of chef's salads and glasses of Le Jade Picpoul de Pinet Coteaux du Languedoc 2008 (Green's, $8.99).

I've blogged about this wine before, it's easily one of the best values in white wine going. It has notes of lemon and pear, with a nice creaminess and a tangy finish. This is good stuff. It could go toe-to-toe with some white Burgundies in the $12-$15 range.


Maybe later I'll crack open a beer. However, you can rest assured it won't be a Bud Light.

No offense intended.

No comments:

 
Google