Thursday, April 05, 2007

Twisting to the Oldies

While Brim is still in a bit of a holding pattern, it’s a great time to revisit previous postings. They may not be as good as Law & Order reruns, but there’s some interesting reading in the archives. Take for instance, this early posting about wine closures.

More and more of the wines I’m drinking are using screw caps and not just the whites anymore. Here are a few screw cap reds I’ve enjoyed recently:

Henry’s Drive Pillar Box Red Padthaway 2005
This is a full-throttle, high-alcohol Aussie fruit bomb. A blend of shiraz, cab and merlot, it's not great for food pairing, but it's a stunning bottle of wine all the same. ($10)

Bitch Grenache Barossa Valley 2005
An excellent bottle of Aussie grenache. It's deeply concentrated and lush, with flavors of black cherry, licorice, pepper and cinnamon. ($10)

Bodegas Lurton Malbec Argentina 2004
I've written previously about the reserve malbec from Bodegas Lurton. This is a nice, inexpensive malbec that makes a perfect hamburgers/pizza wine. Very fruit-forward at first, but the second day it was more balanced and subtle. Look for flavors of raspberry, plum and mint. ($6)

Wineries outside the U.S. seem to be moving faster towards screw caps, but I expect more California wineries will be using them for their inexpensive reds in the near future. Although I dearly love the sound of a cork being pulled, there’s no denying the screw cap is here to stay.

My only complaint about screw caps is that I'm always worried about slicing open my thumb while removing the lower part of the enclosure before I put the bottle in the recycling bin.

Am I the only one with this issue?

No comments:

 
Google