Monday, September 25, 2006

A little perspective


Sometimes not drinking wine is worth writing about on a wine blog.

Friday night we went to Camon Japanese Restaurant and had an amazing sushi dinner. Their wine list is meager, but does have at least one nice choice for sushi-appropriate wine (Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Dry Reisling). But instead we drank beer—big, cold cans of Sapporo.

It amazes me that some of my wine-drinking friends turn up their noses at beer. As far as I’m concerned, everything has its place and time. I really love the way the flavor of Sapporo goes with sushi. It’s light and crisp enough not to interfere with the flavors and it douses the heat of wasabi also.

If you just don’t like beer, that’s fine. But some people seem to think they have somehow transcended drinking beer. They are now on a higher level of taste bud consciousness where only wine will do.

For the record, I love beer. I love brown ale, porter, stout, IPA, pilsner, hefeweizen, bock and countless other well-made brews out there. What the hell else are you going to drink with a big, fat cheeseburger?

Well, zin is really nice with a burger.

But, I still LOVE beer. Just like I don’t want fine dining every night, I don’t want wine every night.

Well, maybe just one glass.

But, there are times when only a cold beer will do. Anti-beer snobbery is right up there with anti-white wine snobbery. Whenever I hear someone say, “I don’t drink white wine,” it makes me wonder what kind of moron would say such a thing.

To not like something is one thing. To imply that you are too GOOD for something is a cat of different color.

It just ain’t right.

And by the way, if you live in Columbia or find yourself there, and you like sushi, Camon is the most fantastic place to eat. The food is simply to die for and the people there are the best. I can't say enough good things about the Camon.

And if you go, drink a beer for me.

No comments:

 
Google