Friday, December 10, 2010

Today is a Good Day

I love the holidays.

I love, love, love the holidays.

The fact is that I'm a sentimental fool, and I have such fond memories of Thanksgivings and Christmases past. Thanks to E, I now also have Hanukkah to look forward to.

Here's a photo of the menorah I gave E for our first Hanukkah in our home. I've even learned to make a pretty mean latke.


E and I took today off so we could get a early start on a weekend trip to visit friends. The sky was glowing blue with a dusting of orange clouds when Hogan and I set off for a chilly morning walk. I love to see the houses in our neighborhood all decked out for Christmas.

After coffee and breakfast, we've got a few errands to run and some presents to wrap before we leave. One of the gifts we're taking to our friends is a bottle of homemade coffee-infused vodka.


There are some recipes here and here. It's really as simple as cracking coffee beans and soaking them with vodka and a little sugar in a glass jar. I'll be making some other infused vodkas in the future – maybe something with fruit and something savory for Bloody Marys.

Now it's time to get moving. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vodka… now that is a beverage with an amazing amount of diversity. If you want to make most any flavored spirit at home legally in the US, you use the base of vodka and ad flavoring, even in beer brewing it works for anything from an airlock anti-bacteria wall to an octane booster for your brew. You can make a million drinks from it, including my sausage stuffed olive martini. Many of the flavorings bases from coffee to chocolate are in vodka that are commercially sold in brewing.. Perhaps sliced bread was what many of us referred to as being the best thing… but before sliced bread, it had to be vodka.

I just had to chime in and praise your use of vodka, especially during the holidays its the best thing since (insert your own phrase here).

Cheers,

mrT

Unknown said...

I've actually developed a little slogan for Vitamin V:

"Vodka. It's not just for breakfast anymore."

Okay, maybe I poached that from somewhere else, but it still works.

I don't why I've been buying espresso vodka for all these years when it's so easy to make. I'm looking forward to more flavor experiments.

Cheers.

P.S. I'll be looking for that sausage-stuffed olive martini recipe. Hint, hint.

 
Google