Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Moment in the Kitchen

I’ve spent the last several days fighting off some sort of illness. Yesterday was (hopefully) my breakthrough day, when I finally felt well enough to get back into familiar routines.

While puttering around the kitchen mixing up a batch of marinara sauce, I realized that I was really happy for the first time since I’d gotten sick. Since my marinara sauce requires a healthy dose of red wine, I was forced to sample a bit – just to make sure it was okay to cook with.

The moment really caught me off guard. After a few days of having no desire for a glass of wine and being more than happy to eat canned soup, it was so wonderful to be back in the kitchen and sipping a glass of simple Italian red.

For some reason it made me think of the people who mistake the love of wine for an affectation or a badge of snobbery – as well as the people who truly do use their wine knowledge as such. Both types of people are way off base.

Wine should be about enjoying food, friends, family, good times and good health. It’s just that simple.

Salud.

No comments:

 
Google